The Dates for the 2016 Robert W. Jackson Senior Conference are May 17–19
We are gearing up to "Blaze a Trail" at the 2016 Senior Conference. This year's conference will be held at Cedar Lakes in Ripley, West Virginia. We look forward to seeing you there!
Registration forms are now available.
The late Robert W. Jackson was one of West Virginia’s most recognized senior advocates; he worked tirelessly both in state government and in the private sector to ensure improvements in policy, planning, and services to seniors. In his honor, the Bureau sponsors the Robert W. Jackson Senior Conference each year to provide workshops and activities for seniors from around the state.
The 2015 conference was held May 19–21 at Cedar Lakes Conference Center in Ripley. (Photos are available on the Bureau's Facebook page.) 265 seniors participated in a variety of workshops and health and recreational activities that reflected the theme, "Get Into the Act." Workshops and activities included:
- Glamour photos
- Bocce Ball
- Insurance Options
- West Virginia History
- History of West Virginia Slavery
- Smart Phones for Seniors
- Exercise Workshops
- Soup Talk
- Senior Employment/Volunteer Opportunities Panel Discussion
- Get Into the Act with Gizmos & Gadgets
- Timeshare and Securities Investments Scams
- Tai Chi
- Archery by Department of Natural Resources
- Mind/Body Skills for Wellness & Relaxation
- Intro to Computers
- Senior Olympics
- Sexuality After Sixty
- Benefits of Having a Pet
- Avoid Exploitation, Hold Onto Your Assets, The Transfer on Death Deed
- Murder Mystery Dinner Theater
For more information on the conference, please contact your local senior center or Robin Strickland at the Bureau of Senior Services at 304-558-3317.